Cold weather, a new year, and delicious healthy food. Soups don’t have to be heavy and weigh you down. This soup is a mix between a minestrone and a vegetable soup. It has tons of nutrients and it can be altered to what you like. If you just want to enjoy a warm bowl of yummy soup, and you have no fears of your waste line, add garlic bread as a dipper. Any way you have it, this soup rocks!
New Years Veggie Soup
- 1 lb Ground beef (80/20 used)
- 1 15 oz can Diced tomato with garlic and oregano
- 1 can Tomato juice (size of a soda can)
- 1 15 oz can Cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 Beef boullion cube
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 White onion (chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves (chopped)
- Carrots (diced; about a cup or more if you like)
- 1 large stalk of Celery (chopped)
- 1 15 oz can Corn (drained)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Green beans (chopped)
- *Any other veggies you would like is additional nutrients*
- S & P to taste
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Sugar (this minimizes the acid in the tomato juice) *baking soda can also be used
- 3 tbsp Fresh parsley (chopped)
- 3 tbsp Fresh parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 cups Whole wheat pasta (cooked; elbows, corkscrew, etc.) *optional
In a deep pot, on medium to high heat, cook the ground beef down. Stir and break apart into little pieces. Then add the onion to soften and flavor the meat. Once the onion and meat have cooked down, turn the heat to a medium low.
Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the pasta and parmesan cheese. Also, at this time, only add 1 tbsp of the parsley. The remaining parsley will be added right before plating. Cover and cook on a low heat for approximately 3-4 hours. Stir frequently so none of the ingredients burn.
After the time allotted, add about 1/4 cup to a 1/2 cup of cooked pasta to the bottom of a bowl. Add a couple cups of soup over the top of the pasta. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and parsley over the top. Serve and enjoy. You can also use barley, quinoa, or diced potatoes instead of the pasta. Try this recipe in the crockpot if you’re on the go!